Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Platinum-Palldium Printing Buys

 Bought a bunch of Platinum-Palladium printing supplies online from work tonight.

- Picked up a bunch of different papers and sizes. I the larger 11x14, 11x15 paper is for the New Brunswick University exhibitions.

- Picked up the cheap type transparency film A-Sub in sizes 11x17 100 sheets and 13x19 100 sheets. I will try this cheapo stuff for a while, if I find the quality or scratching is an issue I will change to something else, possibly Pictorico. 

- Picked up some tetrasodium EDTA that I will use mixed as one of my two clearing agents for my Platinum-Palladium. Got me a 15lb bag which should last a longer time and is much cheaper to buy this way than from Bostick & Sullivan.

In the long wrong paying more now, I will pay less over the long haul. I expect to be doing Platinum-Palladium printing for the rest of my life.

Am also thinking of buying Palladium Chloride from online sources, to make my own Palladium chemistry. It might be cheaper to go this way as well, especially if I start making very large prints, which I anticipate eventually doing. My Nuarc UV exposure unit can make up to 40 inch prints.

Note* There is also a chemical called disodium EDTA that can be used for clearing the print, the difference seems to be in the PH level, the following explanation is from an online source.

The key difference between disodium EDTA and tetrasodium EDTA is that disodium EDTA has a pH lower than 7 while tetrasodium EDTA has a pH greater than 7.

Paper type and sizes bought from B&H with free shipping to Canada
A-Sub transparency film 11x17 ($103.12 CAD), also got a 100 sheet bag of 13x17 ($116.94 CAD)
Tretrasodium EDTA 15lbs from E-Bay ($69.99 USD plus shipping)