Saturday, February 6, 2021

Possible Tent For AMBROTOS KANATA Ultra Large Format Cameras

When I am shooting the 16x20 Chamonix, the HF2024 (20x24 inch) or the HF3535 (35x35 inch) one of the main problems I will face is the weather, especially in Northern shooting locations across Canada. My plan is to get a tent of some kind to protect the gear from the elements, especially rain and wind. 

One of the problems with very large cameras (I will be using some of the largest ever made) is that you have long set up and take down times combined with a huge bellows (20x24 over 6 feet, 35x35 over 8 feet).. The bellows will act like a sail in the wind, making everything dangerously unstable. The last thing I want to see is the wind picking up my HF3535 and depositing it into the Arctic Ocean. I need to get a tent of some kind to help protect my cameras and myself.

I might also like to make images in early morning light. How to do that? I would set up the camera inside a tent the night before! So here is the idea. I drive to a location, set up my camera inside a tent, go to bed in the motorhome, wake up early and SHOOT away, without delay!!!!  I could have the camera set up this way for 2 or 3 days at a time, making photos in the changing light. What in life is better than that?

 "Ain't Photography Grand!!"

Here is a possible tent contender the RIDGEMONKEY ESCAPE XF2 $1782 USD(!!!) with porch extention. There are a ton of possible tents out there, I am looking at. I like the open front of this baby, an area that will accommodate the front lens of the camera well.