Saturday, March 30, 2024

Bought a 1 Ton Truck for AMBROTOS KANATA

After the recent 2nd theft of dads dodge half ton, I was in the market for a used truck. I was thinking of a RAM 2500 but depending on the mileage those run $30000 to $46000 CAD.
I decided to go in a unique direction instead. Today I bought a 2003 Ford F-350 flatbed with 236 000 km. The truck is a dually with diesel engine. Cost $7500 CAD
I hope to use the truck as part of the AMBROTOS KANATA wet plate project. I will add another $7500 CAD to the overall project costs. Expensive total there!!!
I will try to shoot the larger cameras from the raised flatbed location. I might even try mounting a low-locked in place scaffold platform to shoot a bit higher. The metal storage boxes can be used for tripods etc. I can even use the roof mounted amber warning light for safety, when working in darker or fog conditions.
Drove the unit at 110km per hour on the highway today. It performed well. The truck feels solid, relatively quiet for a diesel as well. The unit has new tires and shocks. The sellers were good, decent, trustworthy gentleman.
Hope this works out well. I think it will. She should haul the 5000lb wet plate darkroom trailer nicely. Now have to think of a name for her.
Note* Already bought some new-used floor mats for her, and front seat covers. Will pick up the new 1-ton on Tuesday.
Note** Another positive for shooting from the flatbed is that will help keep the curious farther away from the camera, tripod and lens. One thing I have found is people are always approaching me during this project, asking questions, touching the camera, kicking the tripod etc.