Thursday, November 23, 2023

More New Wet Plate Tools

Well, my last big photo gear shipment is on its way to Canada from the Ukraine. I have an acrylic 8x10 silver nitrate coming and a 8x10 6 plate washer.

The idea behind the wash tank is: 

I can now wash plates more safely, in the darkroom trailer. The tank allows for an individual separation rack for each plate, so the plates do not touch. This will help protect the ultra-sensitive collodion emulsion during washing. I scratch plates all the time when washing in a 20x24 inch tray. It is a very depressing thing. You work your tail off trying to make beautiful glass Ambrotypes, then during the washing you damage them forever. This happens again and again to me.  Let's hope the washer solves this problem. My only worry is that this unit uses too much water. Water is always in shortage when working remotely on the road.

The idea behind the silver tank is: 

I wanted to have something I could use with my mobile E-bike work next season. I can travel to remote areas, set up quickly and open the tank with the silver inside, ready to go. This unit should be able to keep the silver in the tank the entire day. Everything should remain safely secure while travelling on the bike and trailer or shooting at a location. Once you put the lid on the tank, it is supposedly leak proof. So, I should be able to drive without spilling expensive silver nitrate. We will do some testing to confirm. 

I hope this plan works, if it does, I can also use the tank in the trailer for quick departures when on the road. I do not have to play with the silver nitrate, filtering and putting it back in the bottles etc. I can do that work directly out of the tank when I arrive at my sleeping location. So quick-fast, more mobile and safer silver nitrate handling might result!!

If this works, I will be looking into getting a 25x25 inch tank made. I would use that tank with my 24x24 inch Chamonix camera. 

6 Plate Washer
Acrylic 8x10 Silver Tank