Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Interesting? or Profoundly Powerful?

I will donate some work to the VAAA gallery (the gallery that has rejected my work 3 times with the 4th rejection on the way in the mail as I type this). When I went to talk about the donation for the VAAA auction today I ended up introducing myself to a very nice lady that was there running the place. She actually knew who I was, remembered some of my submissions and also my group show work. Turns out the submissions committee members had some discussions amongst themselves (before they rejected the work for the VAAA) about possible galleries that might show the work. The way I understand it the VAAA will not show the work because they are Provincially funded and do not want to push things to far (translation: the subject matter and nudity is to controversial). That is fair enough, I do not blame them for protecting their funding and gallery. Not showing work that they think is good because it is controversial is a bit suppressive and cowardly but maybe the greater good is served as they can help show and raise awareness of the arts. Even if the work they show plays it safe, any art is better than no art.

The lady that helped me was kind and polite and gave me some helpful advice and also complimented me on my work. Initially she said the work was " Interesting!" I laughed and said "Yeah I get a lot of that." She then told me no that is not what she meant, she said the work was "Profoundly Powerful" which was nice, it sounded better than the first thing anyway!

I will probably make a submission of some ladyboy head shots I made this last trip in my next submission to the VAAA, who knows they might even get in!