Saturday, September 16, 2023

Link: Dupree Bolton “”Laura” and A Dupree Story From 1985

Dupree Bolton playing a tune called “Laura” early 1960s. 

Dupree Bolton playing a tune called “Laura” early 1960s.
One time in 1985 when I was sleeping or trying to sleep in the closed jazz club “My Favorite Things”, on a floor mattress. Dupree came in with a piano player and they started to play music together. He really played from the heart. Just me and them, a private concert. I wish I had recorded it. Strange, strong, emotional sounds. They played together for maybe 45 minutes. After, Dupree asked me in his distinctive haunting voice, what I thought. I said something positive, but I did not really understand the music, was not ready for it. He just kinda, smirked, shrugged and left.
It was the only time I heard him play what he wanted to play, just for himself.

Dupree Bolton Plays “Laura”

Dupree when I knew him in 1985