Thursday, October 14, 2021

Cheaper Chemicals

Having some luck getting chemistry for wet plate at cheaper prices. With the plan to go as large as35x35 inches, I needed to find a way to get chemicals cheaper. I tend to screw up lots, mostly doing the self taught fumbling around till it works thingy. Getting wet plate supplies a bit cheaper helps. You need to buy larger quantities to for the savings. Larger quantities than most wet plate photogs will use. Hopefully this will work out and help the project along financially, so far it has.
I have bought my alcohol from Quebec, my cadmium bromide/ammonium iodide from India and my silver nitrate from China. Also picked up a 50lb bag of Calcium Carbonate from a local sports supply store.
Will not be able to do this for all the chemistry, but every bit of savings helps. Hopefully this thought/post does not rub some of the wet plate crowd the wrong way, a touchy group in many respects. It just seems smart to save if you can, if the cheaper chemical does not work for you, then you can go in another direction. No doors should be closed, experiment and have fun. 🙂 Be safe while your doing it.