Sunday, June 30, 2024

Ambrotype Wash Issues to be Solved

The AMBROTOS KANATA project is very often about solving tech problems. My latest is as follows. When making large plates onsite, there is a long cue to wash the finished images. This last week I lost several 11x14 inch and 14x14 inch plates to collodion lifting off the glass issues. The collodion/glass connection was fine initially but the plates had to sit for long periods of time in water trays waiting for their wash turn. Often the plates would stay wet for 12-25 hours, that is unacceptable and leads to adhesion problems.

How to solve this issue?

- I could try edge albumen on the glass, pre collodion pour, for better adhesion (Think I will do this for sure, from now on)
- Entire plates covered in albumen? (A possible solution but maybe an overreaction at this stage).
- Multiple wash baths with proper size trays. Much less waiting in water time. I can wash the Ambrotypes faster and get them to the drying stage sooner. (I will do this also, after I can arrange the super large trays, the pumps, tubing, clamps, and tables that would be necessary.)

Note* After hours of searching on many occasions I think I finally found trays big enough to do 24x24 inch Ambrotypes and 35x35 inch Ambrotypes. Big black plastic trays that are used for gardening. They cost $49.99 CAD for an 80mm (31.5 inches x 31. 5 inches x 5 inches) square tray and $64.99 CAD an 100cm (39.5 inches x 39. 5 inches x 5 inches) square tray. This will be expensive but necessary. I will go with 8-10 of each type of tray or just go with the larger ones for both Ambrotype plate sizes. I will need to pick them up in Calgary next trip, they do not have an Edmonton store, and shipping costs are prohibitive.

Note** Thank you Ross, my Facebook friend from Vancouver, for help with this issue.