Friday, February 3, 2023

Links: The Wonder And Beauty Of The "Wayang"

I first learned of the "Wayang" when watching a very influential movie in my life "The Year of Living Dangerously". The Wayang are the shadow play, puppets, understanding Jave (Indonesia).

The Wayang, Shadow Play in THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY

Linda Hunt with "Wayang" (puppet) from "The Year of Living Dangerously".

Tonight, I am studying and learning more about this amazing story telling art form. Hopefully can see some real shows when and if I visit Java (Main Island of Indonesia).

The shows throughout their history have often commented on dangerous political and social statements. This honest and freedom of expression is a key to "Wayang's" survival through the centuries. The puppet master could say things with and through his puppets, he could not say otherwise.

The Wayang, a short history.

The "Wayang"!!

Note* Linda Hunt's Oscar winning performance as photographer Billy Kwan was inspiring to me, it influenced me, and was part of the reason I came to Southeast Asia to make photographs.