Thursday, February 16, 2023

Link: Help From A Work Colleague

Last night one of my friends here at work (I work night security at a petrochemical plant) helped me with learning more about respirators and the dangers of Hydrogen Sulfide (it can kill you) and Sulphur Dioxide. If I end up going to the to photograph inside a Volcano in Indonesia (Mt. IJen), I will be facing both gases as they are naturally occurring dangers in an active volcano. The workers face those dangers daily. They work in very dangerous conditions to help their families. I have read that 71 men have die digging for sulfur (Satan's Gold) in the volcano, over the last 40 years.

The goal would be to make photographs in the Volcano over many days, possibly over many years like we have in the Mae Sot Dump. A huge part of the project would be the donation work. Getting respirators, filters for the gases, gloves, goggles and other PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) to the miners. To that end I have started writing my bosses here at work about the possibly of the plan donating used respirators. I could then use some of $6000 + in donation to buy the rest of the gear. When making photos I could hand out things on a nightly basis.

This is all still up in the air and might not work. I am not sure of the situation on the ground and whether I can gain access to the volcano and workers. There might be restrictions, gates, security or bribes that might be needed to be overcome.

We shall see how it goes. One brick at a time builds the grand cathedral. The dump project started out very small and lead to some very good things, maybe the volcano/sulfur/miner project will do the same.

We shall see!!

Note* Need to get my fat 58-year-old ass into better shape. This project will be extremely taxiing physically. There might be a 6km walk up the mountain into the volcano every night!! Plus, walking down and out of the volcano with the workers making photos. I probably could not do it now, but I have some time to improve my weight and conditioning. Even if this does not work out, no photos or donation work is done, improving your weight and conditioning is always a good thingy.


The rich have gas masks (respirators), the poor do not. I want to help change that.