Tuesday, September 1, 2020

Sodium Thiosulfate And Potassium Iodide Has Arrived

My 10 kilos of Sodium Thiosulfate (Hypo) and 1 kilo (2-500 gram bottles) of Potassium Iodide arrived today. I now have 17.5 kilos of Sodium Thiosulfate as well the remaining free small bottles I got years ago. I should have enough Hypo to last me quite a while. I got the old $95CAD price for the Hypo from my seller with free shipping.

The Potassium Iodide, will be combined with my cheaper alcohol, Collodion USP, Potassium Bromide and a bit of distilled water to make "Poe Boy Collodion". In my limited eperience-use I have gotten to like "Poe Boy" quite a bit. It is a slow speed collodion that is a bit of a pain to make but it lasts a long time and gives wonderful tones. I am thinking of using it as my main landscape collodion for the .project. Other "Poe Boy" benefits are that it eliminates 2 of the most dangerous chemicals in wet plate. There is no added Ether do deal with. No extra Ether in the collodion  mix, except what is already in the Collodion USP. There is also no Cadmium (Bromide or Iodide) in the "Poe Boy" formula. Quinn J teaches that Cadmium Bromide is the most dangerous chemical in wet plate photography, it is carcinogenic heavy metal (gives you cancer). So the less I use Cadmium based salts, the better.

When the Indian chemicals arrive, I will have a 5 kilo container of Potassium Bromide included, which I will use for "Poe Boy". I am building a large chemical supply for  AMBROTOS KANATA, trying to get the best deals and save the most money. Shooting for the project begins next week after I get some glass cut for it (store cut glass this time).

Note* I bow have just under 1.5 kilos of Potassium iodide in my chemical stores.