I have always felt Canadians are extremely fortunate, so many do not appreciate their extreme privilege and luck. Thought I would share a story.
This is the Woo family, Burmese refugees I know in Thailand. I first met them in 2013, they were asleep on the ground, covered in flies. They had recently come to Thailand to live and work in a garbage dump. The dump was a better life for them than the extreme poverty, war, ethnic genocide and dictatorship they had back home.
The whole family worked the garbage, scavenging for plastics cardboard and metals to sell. They also dug in the garbage to find food for the family. The photo is from 2017, they had become more prosperous thru hard, filthy and dangerous work. Their life was better in the garbage dump.
In 2021, the family father died, the children now only have their mother. I spent time with them again in 2025, lovely people, we (Canadians) gifted them some headlamps, food and pictures of their lost husband/father.
This family dreams of a better life. Living in Canada would be a godsend to them, a dream of dreams come true.
