Social Documentary Photography for a Better World!

Tuesday, September 29, 2026

24x24 Camera/Ambrotype Learning from Sept 13

Will be TRYING to make 24x24 inch Ambrotypes today. I found a nice quiet area near my home. Will shoot a tree section. It’s a beautiful September day here in Edmonton. Wish me luck, lots to learn st this size. I have around 7 litres of Silver in a tray! The black tray is Silver Nitrate the white tray the Hypo.

Using a 600mm Fuji lens I bought years ago for the first time. Probably around $16000 CAD in camera and lens alone. Expensive shit, all the way around in ULF wet plate.
 
The Chamonix 24x24 is surprisingly light for its size. I should be able to shoot it into my 70s, now 62.
Followed the advice of you folks, ratchet strapped the camera down in a light wind. Using a relatively light weight Manfratto tripod with geared head.
 
Today is a day of learning and experimentation!!
 
Thank you to all of those who have helped me through the years, went from 4x5 to 8x10 to 11x14 to 14x14 to 16x20 to 24x24 (I hope!!). Could not have done it without u good folks
 
Freddy and the Beast
Fixer tray
Staked down camera
Silver Tray
600 mm