Friday, September 27, 2024

Problem Solving AMBROTOS KANATA

My long term Ambrotype project of Canada is often about problem solving. Next week I will travel to Calgary for two days, to photograph their city skyline (the downtown sky scrapers etc.)

Problem #1. How to shoot ultra large format Ambrotypes (11x14 inch and 14x14 inch) far from where my darkroom trailer will be parked. Shoot from a bridge etc.

Possible solution. Got me a e-scooter! I will zip back and forth between the trailer and camera in minutes.

Problem #2. How to transport the plate holders safely from darkroom to camera and back to darkroom again. I will need to have both hands on the scooter at all times to be safe.

Possible solution. A backpack? That seems cumbersome and a it might fall off mid drive. After much online searching, I found a hanging bag that should work. It might even be able to carry two holders. It will probably require a tie down strap.

Problem #3. The place I will park the truck and darkroom trailer in Calgary, has a 3 hour time limit. I have 4 or 5 possible setups to do. 3 hours is very little time in the wet plate world.

Possible solution. Do SPEED WET PLATE. Shoot two holders each trip! Have the developer, glass and silver prepared early, wash, dry and store the plates at the hotel parking lot later that night. Will SPEED WET PLATE work? It will be hard, very hard. We shall see!

Here is the wet plate carry bag on the e-scooter.