Wednesday, September 4, 2024

Bought Me 2 Wet Plate Portrait Lens!

I have been trying to avoid spending money on more camera gear. I caved thou and bought 2 lens, 2 lens specially to do wet plate Ambrotype portraiture. 1 lens is to capture head shots on an 8x10 inch camera and 1 is to do the same on a 11x14 camera.

I found a wet plate photographer, Engelbert Vissher, on Facebook whose work I admire. After some help from him, I am getting the same lens (Schneider Xenar 300mm F4.5 lens),   he uses. I love the bokeh and look of his imagery, hope this works for me as well!!

Note* The 360mm should allow me to create the same effects in the larger 11x14 and 14x14 formats.

Note** The lens being attached to Deardorff lens boards will work both with my 8x10 Deardorff and 11x14 Chamonix cameras. Having the boards included will save over $100 CAD.

Note *** I bargained the price down as much as I could, made lower offers, combined shipping costs.  I still need to figure out the lens caps.

Photograph by Engelbert Visscher

Schneider Xenar 300mm F4.5 lens COATED in barrel on deardorff board #9527