Friday, August 11, 2023

14 Inch Projection Lens: NICE LOOK!!

Tonight I put some black filler putty on both sides of the lens board to stop light leaks. Then I set up 8x10 Deardorff with  the 14 inch (355mm) projection lens for the first time. The lens is solidly held in place on the lens board by the tight metal hole with no light leaks because of the putty. A pretty cool thing considering there is no lens flange.

This projector lens should allow a ton of light in, so faster for wet plate exposures, and it creates a very shallow depth of field which is something I have been looking for in my wet plate portraiture. I love wet plate headshot portraits that have a very limited depth of focus.

I will use the lens to do some human portraits and some flower portraits in the coming days. Will also try it with the 16x20 and 20x24 cameras, maybe the coming 24x24, thou I doubt it will have coverage. This should be fun!!!!!

Note* Like this lens so much so far, I am looking to buy others at different focal lengths to play with. The nice thing besides performance with these lens is they are still very cheap ($1-$300 USD), not like the vintage brass lens which sometimes run into the 10s of thousands.  This lens cost me $22 USD with $26 USD Shipping.

14 Inch Projection Lens On My 8x10 Deardorff Camera, Eddy!