Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Plant Triptych?

One of my goals for the Ambrotype project AMBROTOS KANATA this year, is to do a Triptych in the 20x20 inch format size, of the plant where I work security. Been working here for 27 years now as a night guard.

The plan is to develop my ULF wet plate skills over the spring, summer and fall before attempting the Triptych in around September. I need to improve my technique to the level where I am consistently having success in that Ambrotype format size. Also need to get access to the plant for 1 week of shooting (on my week off work). I have contacted some of the plant management and received limited approval, I still need to get final approval from the plant GM.

If I can get this done, I am hoping to eventually shoot at large plant sites across the country as part of the industry section of AMBROTOS KANATA. My plant might Ambrotypes, might lead to access to other plants.

I would love to photograph in Fort McMurray, making plates there over several months would be an adventure in itself. The scale of things in the Mac is world level stuff. The images would help tell the story of Canada in a very unique way.

First things first. Let's get better at ULF wet plate (Ultra Large Format) and move on from there. Here is a quick drawing of the side view of my petrochemical plant near Edmonton, what I envision the Triptych might look like.

Profile view of the plant from South to North, 3 images making 1 story.