Friday, November 19, 2021

Possible THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, UNB Exhibition Image #4

I have started working on the digi files I will send to the gallery for the coming shows in October. The deadline is August 1, 2022. I need to make up 50 files for 2 exhibitions of 15 prints each (THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP and THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY). The curator will select the 30 that will be shown. They pay for the printing costs of the photographs. Each image will measure about 3 by 4 feet, maybe a bit smaller.

Future Help Note* There might also be the option to sell the post show digital exhibition images if I can find buyers for the prints. 100% of that money would go back to the people in the pictures on my 2023 trip to continue the projects. I can get the prints back to sell from the gallery, if I can find buyers to help the people in the pictures (January 2023 after the 6 week exhibitions ends). If no buyers can be found then the prints might go into the Universities collection.
 
If your interested in a print to help the people in the photos, please let me know.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I started to photograph in the dump before Chemeeko was born. My 3rd day in the garbage I was invited to a wedding. The wedding was between a young 15 year old girl and a 17 year old boy. A year later Chemeeko was born. He is about 4 in this photograph, he is walking near his home which was a small shelter built by his father. Chemeeko never wore a diaper/underwear/pants. Whenever he needed to go to the toilet he bent down and just went in the garbage. I saw his mom clean up waste once, she used an old found dump CD to gather the poop and wing it away from where people would be walking. Later in 2018 I saw Chemeeko working the garbage with a small bag. I bought him some little rubber boots with the donation money. In 2019 my last series of trips to the dump the family was gone. I was told they went back to Burma because Chemeeko's grand mom had gotten sick. I hope they have found a better life there.
 
Little Chemeeko in the garbage near his dump home, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2017
Chemeeko with donated boots, 2018