Saturday, September 11, 2021

Preparing The Trailer For 16x20 Ambrotypes

 

So things seem pretty much ready for tomorrows attempt at 16x20 ambrotypes. Going to work out of home this time as it is a bigger step. I need 3900ml of Silver to fill the tank, not sure I have that much, it will be close.

Set up the 16x20 silver tank as best I could. I placed it in the left sink, with a bit of piping holding the stand in place. I wedged the tank in between many bottles, seems to be solid enough for now. I hope there are no light leaks.
 
The camera and lens is ready as well. It rolls quite nicely (at least on concrete) into position. Seems solid enough, nothing falling over. Did a test of focus, all seems OK. I have had this camera for like 5 years, tomorrow is the first time I will use it! 🙂 First time for the lens as well!
 
My plan is to do test plates on 6x20 inch glass before removing the inserts and using 16x20 glass.
Flowing the plates (pouring the collodion) should be a interesting! A real blast! Am excited. I am sure there will be lots of problems, but that is also part of the fun!
 
If something turns out, I will most likely take the 16x20 Chamonix camera with me next trip. Am planning a 3 week photography trip to Saskatchewan and Southern Alberta.
 
6x20 glass set up for testing
16x20 tank wedged into sink
A cut pipe for non accidental closing support