Wednesday, September 8, 2021

Mystery Illness

So last Thursday I went to bed after work as normal after my nights shift (I work 7 nights in a row 12 hours shifts, as a security guard). At 1230pm Thursday, I suddenly woke up with a deep pain in my back. For the next 4 1/2 hours I was in agony. I tried eating some onions and bread food I love but threw that up 30 minutes later, a major vomit experience. This was the first time I had vomited since Laos 5 or 6 years ago, and only maybe the 2nd time in the last 15 years. I had not missed a shift because of illness in 26 years of working full time but I was facing calling in sick now,  I was fighting to not phone and them them I could not work. Eventually I decided I needed a Advil pain pill (almost never take pain pills),  I hate pills, avoid pills, fight not to take pills. 45 minutes later I felt better. Driving to work was difficult, I went slow and toughed it out. The night was long and difficult, but made my through with more Advil.

Friday, Saturday were much the same, 2 to 3 pain pills a day, the deep pain in my stomach and back. Without the pills I would not be able to sleep, no position was pain free. I was thinking do I have cancer? Started looking up cancer and back pain on Google, it did not seem so but it was a possibility. I decided that after my last work shift on Sunday if I was still having pain on Monday/Tuesday I would go to the local clinic to see a doctor.

But on Monday things changed. I was having problems using the bathroom earlier, but that eased up (drank lots of water). The pain in my back and stomach also disappeared. I have not taken a pain bill now for 51 hours and feel good, bathroom stuff is also back to normal.

What was it? A pulled muscle or pulled muscles in my back? Maybe as I was sleeping on a chair when this first happened.

Here is the rub. When I was in pained agony (it really hurt), when I was thinking of dying of cancer, one thought kept running through my mind, dozens and dozens of times. IF I DIE OF CANCER I WILL NOT BE ABLE COMPLETE MY WET PLATE PHOTOGRAPHY PROJECT OF CANADA!!! (AMBROTOS KANATA)

:) I was not so much worried of dying a painful early death, but more distraught of not being able to complete my dream series. Of not being able to make those important photos before I die.

I guess that is a good sign! :) There is always a good side to most everything, even illness.

I need time to get this photo project done, my late 70s at least, I am 57. Dad made it to 82 (almost 83), if I can just make it that long!!