Friday, July 17, 2020

Gerry Collodion Worked!

from Facebook...

Playing in the darkroom trailer again today doing wet plate. Loads of fun making plates even of shitty backyard subject matter. Cannot wait till I am on the road making small, larger and ULF plates. "Ain't Photography Grand"

Did up an order of black glass last night, it will not arrive for 3 months thou!! So for now will continue to use up my supplies of metal (tintypes) and the glass I have (broke one today).

Cool thing of the day? The experimental Gerry Collodion that I mixed last night actually worked! It is a mixture of the Poe Boy (Slow) and Quinn Quick Clear (uses Ether) formulas. Am sure others have played with a similar formula but I do not know that info or this Collodions name, so just calling it Gerry for now. It is an all alcohol mix (except for the Ether already in the Collodion). My thinking is I want to develop an all alcohol Collodion mix because later (I hope) I will be working with 35x35 inch plates and I am worried about the drying time on the plates. The way I look at it, the more time I have to work with a wet plate the better. An all alcohol Collodion mix will hopefully allow me extra minutes to get things done, when I am carrying the big heavy glass plates and working with the slow HF35 camera. Plus it is fun to experiment and photography should always be fun. Which is one of the reasons I have been at it for 42 years now (14 to 56).

Note* With this Gerry Collodion mix I also experimented with a cheaper Canadian type of alcohol. It seems to be working! So far I have put this alcohol in the glass cleaner, the developer and now the Gerry type Collodion mix. If it really works then buying this stuff in bulk for the ULF plates will be much cheaper. I will have 10+ years of buys ahead of me with the KANATA project.
Note** Exposure was 3 seconds at F 5.6.
4x5 tintype G Collodion. Scraped up the emulsion trying to remove it from the fixer tray, OOPS!