Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Carpentry Boy!!

With the large AMBROTYPE plates to come on the AMBROTOS KANATA wet plate project. I will eventually need to frame work for exhibitions (I hope!). Large 24x24 inch (possibly 35x35 inch) frames cost hundreds of dollars. I probably will also need even larger diptych and triptych frames, which could run into the thousands of dollars.

To help with those costs I have decided to learn some woodworking skills and will try to make my own frames. I want it to become part of the creative process. Both the image and the frame should become a beautiful, expressive, creative whole (I hope!). Another old man retirement thing.

To that I have begun buying some carpentry/woodworking tools and watching tons of how to YouTube vids.

So far i have a new mitre saw, a new table sander, a new work table and a new shop vacuum, along with clamps, glue, measuring tools. I will pick up a used, secondhand table saw this morning, for $100. A new table saw cost too much, so trying to save a bit there. Most everything was bought on sale. I hope this is an investment on later savings.

I know nothing about carpentry but this should be fun, creative and challenging. As long as I do not chop off a couple of fingers, things should work out nicely!!

Note* Also watching lots of safety videos!

Dewalt 12 inch mitre saw
Table sander
Skil 10 inch secondhand table saw.