Thursday, April 23, 2020

Final Payment Made On Voigtlander 655mm (24.5 inch) F6 Lens With Chamonix Lensboard And Custom Lenscap

Made the final payment (5th or 6th over many months) on my Voigtlander 655mm (24.5 inch) F6 with Chamonix lensboard and custom lenscap (1886 lens). The plan is to use it as my main portrait lens for the coming KANATA photography project. The lens will be used in combination with my Chamonix 16x20 to create ULF Ambrotypes (photos on glass). Always wanted a vintage brass lens for my 16x20, finally was able to buy one. I am excited about shooting this beauty in the years ahead.

Note* One good thing about these old brass lens is the resale value is very high. I should be able to get my money back, maybe a bit more when I resell the lens later in life. Cost of the lens with lenshood, lensboard and shipping was a very high $4350 CAD. It took me about 4 months of smaller payments to pay for the lens. Really struggled to buy this baby, but I think it will be worth it in the end, hope hope!!

Note** One added note on this lens. It was made in 1886 and Canada became a country in 1887. That sort of fits, and tells the story of Canada from then to now. KANATA will be Ambrotypes (pictures on glass) of the present told using tools and techniques of the past (wet plate collodion dates back to 1850s, this lens to 1886).

Update* Will need to get a lens support device from Chamonix for this lens, or it is libel to be ripped off the front standard and go crashing to the ground. I am also looking into a extension board to allow closer focusing or a second bellows to allow very close up work. Might be getting some metal waterhouse stops (f-stops) made eventually for the lens, thou that might not be necessary.

Lens in Vancouver coming from the sellers studio home, for shipping!
Voigtlander 655mm F6 Lens
Lens mounted to sellers 20x20 Chamonix (mine is a 16x20)
Sample portrait 1 made by the Seller
The lens mounted to the sellers 20x20 Chamonix camera. My camera is a 16x20.
Sample photo 2, close up detail of sharpness. I might get a second bellows for my 16x20 allowing for tighter compositions during portraits and still lifes
Sample photo 1 with scale of subject