Saturday, May 10, 2014

Photo Story: Young Boy Mae Sot Garbage Dump, Thailand 2013

This photo of a young boy was made last year during one of my 8 trips to the dump in May. The boy wore only a t-shirt, nothing else and sat in his home while his very young sister (9 or 10 years old) cooked out front on an open fire. I believe the parents were off working in the dump trying to earn money for the family so the young girl had become a surrogate mother for her even younger brother. I did a number of photographs some of the girl cooking out front with the house and then focused in on the young boy who was sitting, crawling and kneeling in the entrance area of the bamboo, wooden shack home. In the photo you can see the younger sisters hand-leg moving out of frame to the left of the image.I remember the look of desperation on this boys face as I worked, he had sort of a quiet resolution to it all, he said nothing as did his sister. It was incredibly hot during those 8 days, as hot as I have ever been in m y life, loads of sweat, a very hot burning sun and scenes like this is what I remember most. I do not remember seeing this boy on my November trips to the dump but when I return in late 2014 I will go back with a 5x7 camera and try doing a family portrait with the mom and dad included. I still see this young boys eyes sometime when I think of the dump, he just watched me, was curious but looked so frail, so timid, so vulnerable.

As to the tech stuff, I believe this is a 28mm (21mm?) on the Leica M6 with Tri-x exposed at 200 and given my standard development of D-76 2-1 at 20C for 12 minutes 30 seconds.

Burmese refugee boy in his family home next to the dump, Mae Sot Thailand 2013