Thursday, August 25, 2011

Alberta Photo Open, Opening Night

Went to the opening tonight, it was nice with maybe 200 people in the gallery. A nice night, met lots of important people.

- One the people who works for the "Foundation For The Arts" who part of the jury that chose my monk photograph.
- The President of the board at the VAAA.
- The Executive Director  of the VAAA.
- Other VAAA people.
- Lots of cool photographers.

It was nice to meet everyone and talk art, photography with them. Mom and Dad also had a nice time (Dad drank 2 beers!), it was nice to get them out having a good time with us.

I also got a 3rd place with my monk headshot which got me a $100 prize. I can really use that money as my budget for the next 3 week Thai trip is only $1200, now I have $1300! I will have just over $400 a week to spend, so I need to be-careful and eat cheaply, not waste money, taking buses as much as possible instead of taxis etc.

This opening like the one at the Larry Louie gallery in July was quite strange, people you do not know come up to you,  introduce themselves, compliment your work and shake your hand, Its a nice feeling.
I have been in photographic obscurity for so long to have work on two gallery walls at the same time and have strangers complimenting you is a bit of a weird experience, a nice experience but definitely not something I am used to.