Friday, September 4, 2026

Cutting Window Glass is Difficult

Spent the last few days cutting up a bunch of the old aluminum house window frames I bought for $30.

Separating the glass from the aluminum edge frame material is quite difficult without breakage. Some of the glass is only 2mm thick. If you look at it the wrong way and it breaks. If it is a tiny bit thicker it becomes easier but the 2mm stuff is a nightmare!!!!

I have had several large beautiful pieces break in my hand simply by holding the glass. It is very frustrating to almost get usable glass for Ambrotypes or to make black backing substrate material, only to have it break!

I am doing my best to save money and get usable glass this way but it is testing patience and hopefully expanding it. Need to remain calm when doing this type work. Even though at times you want to flog the stuff in frustration.